For many years, I have been using Koken for managing my photo websites. Unfortunately, there have been no updates for Koken since 2017 and the community forum as well as the documentation went offline. Even worse, parts of the system already stopped working due to issues with new PHP versions.
Therefore, I was looking for an alternative for Koken. Unfortunately, I simply could not find any suitable alternative for Koken. General CMS's (even with plugins) like WordPress just don't fit the needs of photographers and I don't want to upload my photos to any hosted photography providers. Furthermore, I need a flexible frontend system that is fully customizable.
Long story short: I had some free time during the pandemic and decided to program a suitable alternative to Koken. The new system (PortfolioSiteLab) has now been maturing for over two years and I'm finally happy with its outstanding features.
Features of PortfolioSiteLab
- Comfortable management of photos in nested collections and albums.
- Photography focused content management system supporting photo EXIF and IPTC data
- Blog with articles and comments
- Automatic bulk upload/update of photos and IPTC meta tags such as photo title, caption, and tags
- Various ready-to-use themes with a bunch of individual customization options like gallery layout (grid, masonry, wall, or mosaic), photos per page, and many more
- Fully customizable themes, if you wish to further customize your website
Best of all, all photos, albums, sets, categories, tags, articles and pages can be automatically migrated from Koken to PortfolioSiteLab during the automatic installation.
If you are interested, I highly recommend to take a look at PortfolioSiteLab CMS.
Best regards and continue enjoying photography